Saturday, March 31, 2012

17 Hours Like Never Before




Up up and a long way I went.  My day started at 6 am Thursday March 29th, as I finished packing for a transcontinental journey from NYC to Taipei, Taiwan which was leaving at 11am.  Mind you I just landed at 7pm the night before having been in GA for three days with my grandma AND I needed to spend some quality time with my other half before boarding a plane again. :)

The morning consisted of trying not to forget anything, passport - check and very important.  Toiletries, chargers for all my electronics, undies, etc.  All while trying my best not to leave my house in disarray.

Jumped in the shower successfully washed hair, loaded iPod with some music and was ready for pick up at 930am.  Of course I get the car service driver who decided we should go the long way to Laguardia airport and yes there was a bit of traffic.  He was a sweet man and kept telling me how much of a positive thinker he was and not to worry I would make it in time...  All while time was running out for me to check my bag.

We had a good conversation and he kept me entertained but at the end of the day, he should not have deep conversation while driving to the airport - judgement impaired and so was his lead foot or lack of one.

So yes you guessed it, I arrive 3 minutes late to check bag, I ran up to the baggage counter very nicely asking people can I please skip the line in an effort to check my bag on time.  Some people were like sure go ahead but this one lady was like "go and you should get to the airport on time" I politely said Thank you as I threw my heavy bag up on the scale, passport in hand.... "did I make it?". Side note as if I purposely showed up late and wanted to just jump the line. Really!  But thank you again.   Other side note, there was a mature couple in line who were also hesitant to let me pass and then as I stood there checking in the woman is at the counter next to me and says "excuse me where did you get your luggage set, I really like it.  You are very well put together."  Well put together huh!  Nice.  Bags by Liz Claiborne- Gift from my husband!  Thanks babe for keeping me stylish and well put together while traveling.

Ok back to the bag.... So the guy gets my tag on and then he notices I'm late and going International.  - My thoughts "oh suga foot, please let me get on this flight with my bag."  Luck would have it I can't check my bag and would be responsible for picking it up in Taiwan.  Damn it!  But then Luck was on my side :)

Thankfully their is a 1245pm flight to Detroit which gives me about 40 minutes to change plane.... Really 30 but since I just ran the NYC half marathon I was confident I could do the OJ Simpson across a terminal if need be, carry on in tow.  - I bet some of you reading this have no Idea what that last statement is referring to!  I think I am showing my age.

Ok so I'm booked on the 1245pm flight and was told my bags would make the short switch.  Now I have time for breakfast so I sit in the new restaurant in terminal D - Bisoux, or something like that.  Had a not so tasty pancake and turkey sausage breakfast OH and it was hella expensive.  Damn airport prices.

First flight 2 hours. Uneventful the way I like it and on time.  Thank goodness.  Whew.  Making last minute phone calls to family, and checking that work hasn't exploded, not like I could do anything about it.  But just in case.

Made my connection with minutes to spare one last I love you to my husband and the doors were closing.  I am off on a 13 hour Journey to Japan then another 4 hours to Taipei.  As I settle into my seat, seatbelt fastened, chair back raised and tray table stowed, I hear "Flight attendants please prepare for take off!"  But here is what makes the next 17 hours like no other trip!  I'm in business class!!!!!!!  First time ever so I am definitely going to cherish this moment.

So upon departure while the captain makes his announcements the thought crossed my mind, I hope this man is well rested and stress free.  There is no place for an emergency landing over the Pacific Ocean in case he decided to compete with Mr. Jet blue pilot.  To my surprised he announced there were three pilots.  Ok I guess, I should be in good hands.

Now back to being in business class: As I approached my seat awaiting my arrival were two fluffy pillows one small one big.  A huge comfy blanket, a pair of slippers, noise cancel headphones, a toiletry bag with goodies as well.  Note to self, don't sit in the exit row of business class.... No place to put all this stuff.  So I sit with everything on my Lap as my neighbors must be pros because their laps are empty and they already have their slippers on and drinks in hand,  yeah I was amateur. Didn't know there was a side box panel to stow stuff in next to the window. Of course no one said a thing,  so I sat with all my toys in lap until we took off and was able to put them on the floor.

So we get up to safe cruising altitude and I decided to grab iPad, magazine, iPod,  sit back down and figure out how to work this remote control to make my seat recline.  I am use to the single push of the silver button.  This baby's got leg and foot support elevates, reclines and did I mention lumbar massage,  this is the life.  Travel for me might now be the same after today.   I'm sure the guy next to me knew this was my first time to this rodeo because I was like a kid pressing buttons trying to figure out this space ship of a chair.  But you know what I didn't let it bother me, he once was a business class virgin.

This is just the tip of the iceberg.  The lovely flight attendant hands me a hot towel with lemon on it.  Followed by a table cloth for my tray and my choice of red or white wine.  This I was us to having flown first class across america.  But then....another woman puts down a bowl of warm nuts.... What!!! Warm Nuts, is that how you get down in business class?  The nuts were the precursor to my three. course meal. Veggie soup, lump crab meat with avocado, melon, dinner roll.  Followed by a salad. Then my choice of entree was panko crusted halibut, asparagus, mashed potatoes. Ok I thought I would never say this but "I had too much food on a plane."  All while they were offering more wine about every 5 minutes.

I so wanted to take pictures of every course and of myself longing in this chair but that might make me look crazy so I decided to just leave it up to your imagination.

Just when I  thought it couldn't get any better, here comes the flight attendant with a dessert cart, seriously she was pushing a dessert cart.  And if you know me when she asked what I would like, how could I refuse a ice cream sundae.....chocolate, strawberry, nuts and whipped cream.  Ice cream is my favorite dessert.  They also had chocolate cheesecake, fruit, cheese and crackers.

After all that food and dessert, plus my wine. I reclined my chiar, using my noice cancel headphones to sit back and enjoy the ride!   Travel should be like this all the time but since I can't have a flight attendant make an ice cream sundae every flight, I thought I would just cherish this moment.

So I successfully made it to Taipei had a good day walking around sightseeing and traveling with the locals on the MRT system today.   I realize this blog was little selfish but I had to share that story with someone.

Back to business soon.

Taj

photo:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/xlibber/3423766012/sizes/s/in/photostream/

2 comments:

  1. Wow sounds like a nightmare and at the same time it ended just right. I bet you don't want to do coach ever again. 1st class it's redic $$$$. But no wonder many choose to do it. Can't blame them. Enjoy your trip. -isaura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl I was upgraded to Business Elite. The prices are redic and I surely nor was my company paying for me to fly business class. But it was very nice. Hope to see you in the future.

      Delete