Friday, February 1, 2013

Running in the Winter

Happy February everyone! 

31 days of 2013 are officially OVER!  I swear I will be celebrating my 65 birthday in what feels like the next 5 years.  So I better get on the ball especially since my intentions for 2013 are Devotion! My list is a bit extensive. 

I am proud to say that I have actively devoted time for self, fitness, family, friends and business during the month of January.  But the buck doesn't stop there, its time for me to be a bit more devoted to YOU, my fans, my silent stalkers, my zealots or as one person called herself "one of my calm cult followers".  

Many of you know about the group I started Run Sister Run.  It is a running group of diverse women you get together to run casually as well as in organized events.  Here is a picture of our last run together.  


I'm devoted this year to building our group and getting more women off the couch and across the finish line of any race they put there mind too.  :)  I believe the same effort, attitude and drive you put behind running applies in life!  So you can cross the finish line of anything you put your mind too. 

By May 31, 2013 I want to build a street team of 50 runners.  We can do this! And its starting on Sunday Feb 3rd during the NYRR Super Bowl 4 mile run in Central Park.  There are quite a few of us running and I surely plan to sport the Run Sister Run t-shirt.  

Here are some tips for everyone to consider when running in the cold weather:

1.  Wear wicking clothing - It may be cold but you will sweat. 
2.  Cover any extremities that you know get cold - Ears and hands appropriately. Either using gloves or socks you can throw away.  A hat for your head or ear head band
3.  Wear the proper socks on your feet so that your feet are warm and dry
4.  Use baggage check if you are at an organized race to put a dry shirt or coat in.  You don't want to stop a race in the cold and walk off wet.  
5.  Hydrate when you are out there, before and after - you are sweating and the air will be evaporating the sweat at the same time

I recently purchased this new shirt and absolutely love it.  So if you are interested check it out at NIKE.


See you out there on the pavement.  PS our next run is a 5K Feb 10th in Prospect Park followed by another 4 mile Feb 23rd also in Prospect Park.  Want more info leave a message and remember you can also Walk Sister Walk!  And you can be a virtual runner - ask me how.  

Taj 

Photos:  RSR Group Photo courtesy or Taj
Nike top provided by www.nike.com 



No comments:

Post a Comment